Thursday, June 13, 2013

Potty Training, Round 2: JOEL

Jude was so easy to potty train! He was in full-time "underoos" by age 2 1/2, even thru the night! He totally spoiled us! He just really didn't like to be wet or dirty. He still always asks for a napkin with his meal and shows me his hands when they're sticky, etc so I can wipe them off immediately(even mid-meal). With help from his super sweet daycare teachers during the day and Jon and I working with him at home, he learned fairly quickly!!
Joel has been showing a large amount of interest in using the potty "like his big brother" lately so we thought it would be a perfect time to to start the process full force while Jude was out of town (staying with Grumpa & Mimi). I do call it a successful "starter week!" We were able to really spend some one on one time with him that we aren't always able to do when we have both boys fighting for attention. He really only had 3 at home accidents...and they were all within a 2 hour span. Ha! Outside of that he did wonderful! He had one "recess" accident at school and another right as I picked him up in the afternoon. Mind you, we were taking him to the bathroom atleast once an hour and watching him like a hawk!
When Jude arrived back home, things stayed positive! Jude was happy to show Joel how to be a "big boy" and use the potty and Joel was cooperative to "pee-pee for a treat!" 80% of the time and we worked to make it happen anyways the other 20% of the time. The biggest obstacle was and still remains to be morning potty time! He just does not like to go straight from the bed to the potty! Once he's there and goes, life is back to good. Until that point, there are tears! *sigh* Every. Single. Morning!
We are now in the home stretch of our second full week with Joel and I'm so so proud of him! He makes it throughout the day at school and has asked several times now "I go potty, mommy!" and has made it to the toilet without an accident!  I'm hopeful that we won't be needing to haul around a diaper bag much longer! Maybe...just maybe...we can even be successful in eliminating a "carry all" by our Cali trip?! Okay... I know I may be asking alot with that one. Hehe. A momma can dream! I'm not ruling it out though! Yay for super smart boys!!

I will end with a quick pic & story... can you tell me what's wrong with this picture?! I met up with several girlfriends for dinner at Mama's pizza this past Monday. Joel politely taps me on the shoulder, I turn to him...
Joel: mommy, I have treat?!
Me: What for?
Joel: I pee-pee'd!
Me: Huh? You need to go?! Let's go! (I start to take him out of his booster seat)
Lara: Umm, haha. I think he already went!
Me: Joel! NO NO! We don't go potty in our pants!!
(as the pee drenches his shorts, dribbles down his leg into his socks, shoes and ofcourse flows onto the booth bench)
Joel: I go pee-pee, Mommy. I get treat!

Jude was giving the camera a face to show how Joel SHOULD have been feeling. Joel was totally content with his little show and sported a big cheese smile! Silly monkeys! I had just picked them up from daycare, strapped them completely in their carseats when Joel tells me "I have to potty, mommy." I unbuckled both children, take them both back inside, take them BOTH to the potty, go back out to the car, buckle both boys again and we're on our way... Seriously?! What would I do without them to keep me busy?! By the way, I was also lucky enough to have forgotten an extra pair of shorts so I left Joel in his wet pants until we finished our plate of pizza and then strapped him in his car seat pantless for the ride home! I should be expecting my Mother of the Year Award soon I just know! ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment