Thursday, September 8, 2011

Motherhood is…


I read this confession this morning on another mom’s blog:

“I really, truly, honestly wish someone–ANYONE–would have told me what it was really like having kids. Before I had them.”

I know she was exhausted ending a “less than easy day” and speaking out of complete frustration. I can absolutely relate and in turn, reflected a little on my own life & kiddos. I realize both of my boys are still under 2 so I have MUCH still to learn about being a parent but for all my sweet friends that are yet- to-be and soon-to-be-mothers who really wonder what it’s like, I’m going to do my very best to describe motherhood, thus far for me, for you.

Here goes.

Motherhood is constant middle of the night wake up cries. Just when you think “they had a wild busy day, stayed up late, had a short nap..SURELY they’ll sleep thru the night”…. “Mommy! Daddy! Mommy! Poo Poo!”

Motherhood is reading book after book after book after book…after book.

Motherhood is needing more concealer.

Motherhood is having to leave something fun because you failed to bring enough
diapers &/or formula to stay any longer.

Motherhood is finally appreciating your own mother.

Motherhood is being so proud and excited when your child learns something new.

Motherhood is worrying that you’re not doing everything right that you should be to ensure your child progresses “on track.”

Motherhood is kisses for boo-boos and prayers before bed.

Motherhood is hormonal.

Motherhood is having someone to blame for the smell when a toot slips out.

Motherhood is sharing…everything.

Motherhood is giving up spontaneous date nights with your hubby and replacing them with “play dates” with friend’s and their kiddos.

Motherhood is frequent Wal Mart trips.

Motherhood is less trendy and more comfy.

Motherhood is an invasion of toys and safety devices to your once neat and tidy home.

Motherhood is dreading restaurants and preferring to eat at home.

Motherhood is feeling like a failure after repeated lactation consultant visits…wondering if you’ll ever be able to live up to the breast feeding requirements society imposes. And for the record, I did not. One of the hardest things for me EVER was overcoming what I FELT was judgment from so many…mainly mom’s that must have been dairy cows in a previous life ;-)

Motherhood is learning that if you act REALLY excited about something, your toddler will want to be that excited about it too.

Motherhood is house parties over bar hopping.

Motherhood is the easiest most difficult job ever.

Motherhood is submitting your life to your children’s schedule.

Motherhood is “packing up your house” when you want/need to go anywhere out of town.

Motherhood is all of your spending money.

Motherhood is snapping pictures constantly to “treasure this moment.”

Motherhood is not remembering what you did the day before when you used to have an impeccable memory.

Motherhood is finding a balance of your time between jealous siblings fighting for your attention.

Motherhood is trying not to be jealous when your toddler turns into a total daddy’s boy.

Motherhood is being pee’d on and wiping more poop than you ever thought you’d see in your life.

Motherhood is a car so filthy that you are embarrassed to let your own husband see it.

Motherhood is praying that you can raise your kids up in God’s word and be a good enough example that they’ll know and love the Lord.

Motherhood is emotional.

Motherhood is knowing, just from the touch of a forehead, almost exactly what your child’s temperature is.

Motherhood is feet a 1/2 size larger than before, tighter pants and a saggy booty.

Motherhood is fantasizing over reaching the bottom of the laundry pile, knowing full well that it’s never going to happen.

Motherhood is singing all the words to your kids favorite songs even though they annoy the heck out of you.

Motherhood is enduring countless episodes of Clifford, The Big Red Dog (“Ruff Ruff”) in order to get the house somewhat presentable.

Motherhood is never feeling 100% at peace unless all of your children are with you, under your own roof.

Motherhood is almost always feeling mildly sick but never being able to wallow.

Motherhood is a removal of any privacy once had… never using the bathroom or showering in peace.

Motherhood is using your sleeves to wipe snot and your spit to clean a dirty face.

Motherhood is when you are so exhausted, you just want to curl up into a ball when one of your children suddenly farts or burps or does something spontaneously funny. It’s the moment when you dissolve into a hysterical fit of laughter; the kind that you haven’t experienced since grade school. It’s the moment you pause and look at your children and husband, all piled on your bed, breathing hard with rosy cheeks, and think that the only things that really matter in the world are right there in front of you. They are yours, and they are worth every sacrifice and sleepless night!

Rinse and repeat a million times. That’s what motherhood is to me right now…and that’s just off the top of my head! Haha.

XO,
Brooke

2 comments:

  1. I love this... it is absolutely perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful, Brooke. If you don't mind, I just may link over to this because I love it so much. :)

    My personal favorite is the breastfeeding failure. The societal pressure is horrible. I felt TERRIBLE when I HAD to stop; I felt like I had to justify and explain why I stopped to every single person I ran across whether I knew them or not. One of my biggest pet peeves is someone who judges a mother on whether they nurse or not. I lose a lot of respect for those people who think they are better because they nursed or pressure other moms to feel that they won't be the best mother unless they nurse. Someday, when their daughter or daughter in law spends countless nights crying and trying their best to nurse just can't do it, then they may understand. Believe me, if I could, I would've. OKAY. Off my soapbox!!!!

    ReplyDelete