Thursday, March 4, 2010

Jude Goes to Daycare

After much thought and several visits to different DFW daycares, we finally decided to put Jude in one that is very close to Lockheed (where we both work)...BUILDING BLOCKS, Fort Worth. I thought about putting him in one close to home (in Keller) so he would grow up with other neighborhood kids but with the Lockheed discount offered at most Fort Worth daycares, that was pretty much out of the question. As he gets a little older, we’ll re-evaluate. Who knew choosing a daycare would be such a task?!

My mom came down and watched Jude for Jon and me the last 2 weeks while I transitioned going back to work and just to love on him and give him a couple more weeks before daycare. I was fairly confident I would do alright considering I had preparation time…WRONG! HeHe.


Monday was his first day…


Jon dropped him off around 7:00am and I was to pick him up after work around 4:00pm. I thought dropping him off might be difficult for me so I was happy to give that task away. Wise decision. I found myself staring at the clock as the minutes went by from about 1:00pm on getting very anxious to pick him up. I left work at 3:59 in route to get my little man! When I walked into the daycare, I instantly felt frazzled for some reason... I walked into his classroom and ofcourse went straight to scoop Jude up…Ick! A very snotty nose! OH NO! All the stories the moms tell me are true! Daycare does = sick kiddos! What have I done?! I tried to stay composed and just said as politely as possible “wow, poor guy is so snotty. Did you guys give him his salene spray?” to which I got the response…”oh no, we didn’t know we should be. I’m so sorry. Do we have instructions for that from your dr?” I was screaming in my head…Well….why did I have to make sure I had his pediatrician fax over signed paperwork so you WOULD know? Boo! :-( I was nice but stern and explained that yes, they were! (and also vented to Jon he needed to regulate and let them know what’s up in his best manly voice the following morning…but nicely ofcourse). ;-)

Lesson #1: Leave directions every morning w/teachers. Don’t assume they know anything.

So…moving on, I go to pull down his carrier and diaper bag from the top shelf where they are kept during the day. I find his diaper bag empty. Why was it empty?! I had dropped off anything and everything they would possibly need the week before…diapers, wipes, clothes, bottles, burp cloths… I asked the teacher where all of his stuff was and she (very sweetly I will say) helped me sort thru his bin and cabinet and collect it all to put back in the bag. I wonder if she could sense I was about to break down?? LOL. She explained they had assumed we dropped it off to be used.

Lesson #2, don’t leave the diaper bag.

I left the daycare nearly in tears and headed home. Am I just an emotional ninny or is this natural and expected mommy behavior? I must say being on day 4 now, I’m MUCH better! I knew it wouldn’t be just easy peasy or anything but SHEESH! *sigh* I’m thankful we chose the Fort Worth daycare over the Keller one now for sure…I can’t imagine having to commute 30 minutes after work before getting to him everyday. I am still counting down minutes til’ pick up time even today but I’m learning and getting to know the process more and am content with our choice…but am also hopeful my mom will cave and move down soon! HeHe.

3 comments:

  1. It does get better.

    We take Tommy to a Primrose school and you have to have a doctor's note for EVERYTHING, including them using a nasal aspirator on the snotty noses. I didn't know that ahead of time either.

    You will have to get used to to them getting sick. Tommy has had a few colds since he started in August last year.

    Poor babies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry it's been hard. I think your protective momma instincts are just coming out so I think it's natural!;) I'm not sure about daycare, but I get just a little bit that way with leaving my babies at the church nursery. Praying you will be able to adjust!!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I go back to work on Wednesday and Eli will start daycare either March 22 or 24... and I am dreading both!!

    ReplyDelete